Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nonlinear vibrating beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm trying to model a cantilever beam base excitation, one end of the beam is fixed on the base, with the excitation of 0.5g and 5Hz, there is a nonlinear magnetic force applied on the tip mass which is simplified as third order polynomial ay^3+cy. y represents the displacement. My question is how to applied this nonlinear force, and which study I should use, eigenfrequency, frequency domain or time dependent? Thank you very much.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 14, 2015, 2:18 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 14, 2015, 2:18 a.m. EST
Hi,

Since the problem is nonlinear, your only option is to solve it as a time dependent problem, and run a large number of cycles until you get a stabilized response. See the discussion in this thread:

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/94991

The force can be applied more or less as you write it, that is as an expression containing the displacement.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Since the problem is nonlinear, your only option is to solve it as a time dependent problem, and run a large number of cycles until you get a stabilized response. See the discussion in this thread: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/94991 The force can be applied more or less as you write it, that is as an expression containing the displacement. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.