Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I'm new to COMSOL and to start with, I'm trying to model and compare two heat transfer situations in a 2D square which is divided to columns of 2 different alloys. I'm trying to apply the heat once along the columns and once perpendicular to them, and see the difference in heat conductivity.

Since I'm new to the software, I need some help with drawing the structure, and also how to place the heat source at the two different sides of the square.

Thank you so much.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 29, 2010, 4:24 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 29, 2010, 2:30 a.m. EDT
Hi

My only advice really: read the doc, and start doing the exercices therein.
And, if you manage, get yourself on one of the courses or the workshops COMSOL organises regularly. Perhaps there is none close to you, then you must identify enough "local" users and try a grouped request to organise such an event at your lacation

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My only advice really: read the doc, and start doing the exercices therein. And, if you manage, get yourself on one of the courses or the workshops COMSOL organises regularly. Perhaps there is none close to you, then you must identify enough "local" users and try a grouped request to organise such an event at your lacation -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 29, 2010, 2:45 a.m. EDT
hi, thank you for your response.
I managed to draw the structure using the interactive graphic, and defined the materials on each section.
Then I selected the boundary heat source since I wanted the heat to be applied from one of the sides of the square.
but after I tried to "compute", the result was uniform throughout the square, even though it was made of two different materials. Could you please help me with this?
Also I will try to find people around here who have worked with COMSOL before so they might be able to help.
Thanks again.
hi, thank you for your response. I managed to draw the structure using the interactive graphic, and defined the materials on each section. Then I selected the boundary heat source since I wanted the heat to be applied from one of the sides of the square. but after I tried to "compute", the result was uniform throughout the square, even though it was made of two different materials. Could you please help me with this? Also I will try to find people around here who have worked with COMSOL before so they might be able to help. Thanks again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 29, 2010, 4:24 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure I understand you 100% but if you apply a stationary analysis your temperature profile will be rather homogène no ? Specially if you do not apply excit heat flow on other boundaries. be sure you have consistent BC's that you have defined where the heat flux comes in and where it goues out, knowing that a constant temperature boundary migh provide or might take away energy depending on the average T of the solid

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I understand you 100% but if you apply a stationary analysis your temperature profile will be rather homogène no ? Specially if you do not apply excit heat flow on other boundaries. be sure you have consistent BC's that you have defined where the heat flux comes in and where it goues out, knowing that a constant temperature boundary migh provide or might take away energy depending on the average T of the solid -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.