Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

electrostatic - electric field gradient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm widya

I would like to ask about the electric field gradient, I'm using version 3.3, does anyone know how to write ?|E|^2 into expression?

3 Replies Last Post Sep 30, 2010, 8:26 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 30, 2010, 1:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

I do not have 3.3, but if I apply "similarity", and make the hypothesis that:

_E_ = (Ex,Ey,Ez)

then the norm should be something like

norm(_E_) = (_E_*_E_) = Ex^2+Ey^2+Ez^2

provided _E_ is real this is certainly true.

If _E_ is imaginary, I'm no longer sure now if you can use directly the same formula or you should use the complex conjugated version, I would have to check again ;)

It's mentionned somewhere in the doc

if you want the norm of the gradient of _E_, at least in V3.5 and V4, you have the components of the gradient defined as (Exx,Eyy,Ezz) or Exx = d(Ex,x)

so this should then be trivial to extrapolate, with the little warning to check for complex values.

If Exx is not defined in 3.3, you still have the diff(Ex,x), or is it already the new current notation d(Ex,x) that applies in 3.3 ?
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have 3.3, but if I apply "similarity", and make the hypothesis that: _E_ = (Ex,Ey,Ez) then the norm should be something like norm(_E_) = (_E_*_E_) = Ex^2+Ey^2+Ez^2 provided _E_ is real this is certainly true. If _E_ is imaginary, I'm no longer sure now if you can use directly the same formula or you should use the complex conjugated version, I would have to check again ;) It's mentionned somewhere in the doc if you want the norm of the gradient of _E_, at least in V3.5 and V4, you have the components of the gradient defined as (Exx,Eyy,Ezz) or Exx = d(Ex,x) so this should then be trivial to extrapolate, with the little warning to check for complex values. If Exx is not defined in 3.3, you still have the diff(Ex,x), or is it already the new current notation d(Ex,x) that applies in 3.3 ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 30, 2010, 1:39 a.m. EDT
I've tried diff(Ex,x) and that work. thank you Ivar.

but then I encontered another error messege which was,

error : 7043
Initial guess leads to undefined function value.

how can I solve this kind off error messege?
I've tried diff(Ex,x) and that work. thank you Ivar. but then I encontered another error messege which was, error : 7043 Initial guess leads to undefined function value. how can I solve this kind off error messege?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 30, 2010, 8:26 a.m. EDT
Hi

check what are the initial conditions (often = 0), and sometimes you divide by this value => error. It could also come from an imaginary part when only real is expected, then a "real() would help. Normally you should have a way to test your mdoel only on the initial conditions (even in 3.3)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check what are the initial conditions (often = 0), and sometimes you divide by this value => error. It could also come from an imaginary part when only real is expected, then a "real() would help. Normally you should have a way to test your mdoel only on the initial conditions (even in 3.3) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.