Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

swept vs non-swept mesh using wave optics, beam envelopes..

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating propagation in an optical fiber. Using the directional coupler example provided, I set ii up as in the attached file. (fiber-propagation-2) For a short length of 20 microns of propagation, when I use free triangular on the boundary and sweep with 10 distribution elements, it all makes sense. (see mesh1, result1)I look at the field at different positions, and it all makes sense. When I used a free tetrahedral map throughout the entire volume I get a different result, and shows patches of field at different locations. (see mesh2, result2)

What is going on here? Is it a must to use swept mesh for beam envelopes? Although, the second case with free tetrahedrals is more detailed, it gives nonsense results..

Thanks ahead for help.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 16, 2015, 6:57 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ertan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.