Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PMSM Cogging torque computation problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all Comsol experts and users,

I am modeling a synchronous permanent magnet machine (surface mounted). With my simple model (Time dependent which involves the rotation of the rotor at open circuit) I can fairly, in my opinion, compute the back emf relate to one phase as well as reasonable values of electromagnetic field in order to see how much the machine is loaded magnetically speaking at open circuit (no armature reaction injected in the stator winding).
Nevertheless I have a problem with torque computation. The cogging torque should oscillate over time, but showing an average value which is zero. I used the force computation tool available in the rotating machinery subpackage paying attention to surround it with air in order to exploit the Coulomb's method for computing the torque. However I got a results which is not correct: the cogging torque is oscillating but the average value is different from zero. Moreover, in order to check the reliability of my results I computed the force also at stator side. According to the principle of action-reaction the torque should result the same: this is not true in my case: torque oscillating with a different frequency of the one acting on rotor, plus an average value, which is not zero yet.

I attach some pics down here, as the size of the file does not allow me to upload it on the website. In particular regarding the Cogging.png the green line represents the torque "felt" by the stator whereas the blue the torque computed on the rotor. Please if someone can help me out, or having suggestions I would be more than grateful.

Sincerely,
Nicola

PS Have a merry Christmas!

1 Reply Last Post Jul 8, 2017, 10:58 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicola Chiodetto

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Maria-Sofia Pechlivanidoy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 8, 2017, 10:58 a.m. EDT
Hello Nicolla, can you attach the mph file of your machine?
I think I know what is the problem..
Hello Nicolla, can you attach the mph file of your machine? I think I know what is the problem..

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.