Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting electric filed between two electrodes using comsol 3.5a.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am using comsol 3.5a for simulating the electric filed between two copper electrodes. I have two rectangular region acting as two copper electrode and outer rectangal enclosing two copper electrode tectangles. Seperation between two copper electrode is 0.2 unit and I had applied potential of 1V to one elctrode and second electrode is ground. When I solve and plot I the electric field then I am getting maximum electric field 0.3 v/m which is not correct as the electric field in this system should be 1V/0.2m = 5V/m. Does anybody help me in identifying what is wrong in my simulation and why I am getting undesired electric field.
Thanks
Anil Shrirao

1 Reply Last Post Oct 5, 2010, 9:50 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2010, 9:50 a.m. EDT
It depends on the potential of your other electrodes or whatever it is (boundary of some kind). Make the box around the two electrodes very big and you will roughly have your 5V/m. The size of the electrodes are finite also and you have sharp cornes. This will modify the elecric field picture.
Best,
/Per
It depends on the potential of your other electrodes or whatever it is (boundary of some kind). Make the box around the two electrodes very big and you will roughly have your 5V/m. The size of the electrodes are finite also and you have sharp cornes. This will modify the elecric field picture. Best, /Per

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.