Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulation the dispersion of microresonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm trying to simulation the dispersion of silicon nitride ring resonators .
The optical waveguide is axisymmetric.

I want to combine the material dispersion and geometry dispersion together.

Also I need to simulate the optical modes of different wavelength in the cross-section of the ring.

Could you please tell me how to simulate optical propagation in ring?
Should I use 3D model or 2D axisymmetric model?

2 Replies Last Post Aug 6, 2016, 8:26 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Folia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 3, 2016, 10:30 p.m. EDT
Hi,recently I also investigate how to calculate numerically the optical modes in the microresonator(eg. microsphere or ring). Actually,in my opinion, the eigenfrequency interface of the RF or wave optics module should be employed. If the system is axisymmetric, 2D-axisymmetric should be chose. how do you think? and which stage have you reached now?
Hi,recently I also investigate how to calculate numerically the optical modes in the microresonator(eg. microsphere or ring). Actually,in my opinion, the eigenfrequency interface of the RF or wave optics module should be employed. If the system is axisymmetric, 2D-axisymmetric should be chose. how do you think? and which stage have you reached now?

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 6, 2016, 8:26 a.m. EDT

I want to combine the material dispersion and geometry dispersion together.

I am not sure if I understand you right. With material dispersion do you mean the dispersion depended on the wavelength?

Also I need to simulate the optical modes of different wavelength in the cross-section of the ring.

The modes are depended on the boundary condition, material and wavelength. With the RF-module comes a nice example for a coaxial cable impedance. I can't attach the PDF file because it doesn't work with Firefox at the moment. But you can get it via the installer if you say you will install all documentation.
In this example a cross section was designed and analysed with the Eigenfrequency solver. You need a ca. wavelength and how many you want. From the result list select the different mode and plot is. The interpretation is your job.

Could you please tell me how to simulate optical propagation in ring?
Should I use 3D model or 2D axisymmetric model?

What do you need exactly? The resonance wavelength of the ring or only the propagation in the ring?
For the resonance you have to consider if you use a symmetry every mod which isn't symmetric to the cut you will not find.

Regards,
Stefan
[QUOTE] I want to combine the material dispersion and geometry dispersion together. [/QUOTE] I am not sure if I understand you right. With material dispersion do you mean the dispersion depended on the wavelength? [QUOTE] Also I need to simulate the optical modes of different wavelength in the cross-section of the ring. [/QUOTE] The modes are depended on the boundary condition, material and wavelength. With the RF-module comes a nice example for a coaxial cable impedance. I can't attach the PDF file because it doesn't work with Firefox at the moment. But you can get it via the installer if you say you will install all documentation. In this example a cross section was designed and analysed with the Eigenfrequency solver. You need a ca. wavelength and how many you want. From the result list select the different mode and plot is. The interpretation is your job. [QUOTE] Could you please tell me how to simulate optical propagation in ring? Should I use 3D model or 2D axisymmetric model? [/QUOTE] What do you need exactly? The resonance wavelength of the ring or only the propagation in the ring? For the resonance you have to consider if you use a symmetry every mod which isn't symmetric to the cut you will not find. Regards, Stefan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.