Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D contour from x-y point data only

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I have an interesting results analysis problem. I would like to be able to take extracted point data, regrid it, and then generate a contour plot within Comsol Multiphysics. Presently, we export our model point data as x, y, and model values at those points (point evaluation), and then import the data into a separate data plotting program, like Surfer, to regrid and plot the data. In this way, the plotting is blind to the FEM mesh and related computational smoothing. I would like to use Comsol Multiphysics to do the same thing Surfer does. I would like to remove this added step. Is Comsol Multiphysics capable of doing this task?

You may ask, Why would I do such a silly thing as this? Some types of data from real data acquisition systems comes from widely separated point locations, comprises a field measurement of some sort, and contains no information about the nature of the field between the point locations. This is the classical problem of imperfectly spatially sampled field data. Nevertheless, field (like potential field) measurement data acquisition systems that make spatially sparce measurements, generate this sort of data. I would like to be able to emulate this in Comsol Multiphysics, if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Allan

0 Replies Last Post Apr 27, 2020, 7:04 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Allan Haas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.