Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Exporting mesh (.mphtxt) with data on boundaries/selection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a way to export edge set/boundary set to the mphtxt file?

What I am expecting to work:

Create a selection for a part of my boundary I want to export (Definitions -> selections -> explicit). When exporting the mesh, i tick the "Export selctions option". However, the output file does not include any section with information about which cell/nodes that is contained in the selected boundary.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 19, 2021, 7:26 a.m. EST
Hanna Gothäll COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 18, 2021, 8:45 a.m. EST

Hi Elias,

The selections in COMSOL Multiphysics are tied to the geometric entities in the selections, which are listed in the end of the files after lines similar to:

--------- Object 1 ----------

For more information, please refer to page 64 in the PDF in this entry:

Mesh Import and Export Guide

On page 56 in the same pdf, there is an example of a small mesh which is exported with complete information about the geometric entity information.

By exporting the mesh with selections and relevant geometric entity information, it should be possible to extract the mesh elements contributing to each of the selections.

I hope this answers your question.

Hi Elias, The selections in COMSOL Multiphysics are tied to the geometric entities in the selections, which are listed in the end of the files after lines similar to: ### --------- Object 1 ---------- For more information, please refer to page 64 in the PDF in this entry: [Mesh Import and Export Guide](https://www.comsol.com/model/comsol-multiphysics-mesh-import-and-export-guide-72351) On page 56 in the same pdf, there is an example of a small mesh which is exported with complete information about the geometric entity information. By exporting the mesh with selections and relevant geometric entity information, it should be possible to extract the mesh elements contributing to each of the selections. I hope this answers your question.

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 19, 2021, 7:26 a.m. EST

Yes that helps, thanks

Yes that helps, thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.