Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Large Virtual Memory after Derived Value Calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I've recently been calculating some surface integrals over a wide range of parameters. I have successfully run a parametric solution with 21x4 parameter combinations, and now I'm trying to calculate a few different surface integrals for each parameter combo.

Fortunately, the surface integrals only yield a single value, so after all is set and done, I should only be generating a few kilobytes worth of table data.

Here's the problem- COMSOL seems to be stacking up more and more virtual memory as it goes along. I made it through about 80% of my surface integrals before my computer ran out of virtual memory on the hard drive at 45 GB.

So how can I get COMSOL to clear out that 45 GB? Sometimes I've noticed that if I ask COMSOL to do another calculation, sometimes it reclaims the VM. So I did a dummy study but it only dropped to 40 GB. Is there a node I can delete to reclaim this memory? I've already saved all 24kb of the table output that was successfully generated.

2 Replies Last Post May 18, 2016, 11:17 a.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago May 17, 2016, 7:13 a.m. EDT
I repeated the dummy study a few more times and its now down to 25 GB. What's going on? Why is this even working? Is there a better way?
I repeated the dummy study a few more times and its now down to 25 GB. What's going on? Why is this even working? Is there a better way?

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago May 18, 2016, 11:17 a.m. EDT
This behavior sounds strange. I suggest that you contact COMSOL Support and send them the model for which this happens.
This behavior sounds strange. I suggest that you contact COMSOL Support and send them the model for which this happens.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.