Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need help in understanding how to develop Oscillatory flows inside a pipe

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am solving a FSI problem where the oscillatory fluid flow inside a pipe is deforming the solid. I am using COMSOL for the numerical simulation of the system. I have a rectangular pipe (2D) and at the inlet of the pipe defined a pressure condition (forcing condition) to create oscillation in the flow.
my inlet condition is:
P(inlet)= P_mean + P_amplitude * cos (wt) -- (time dependent analysis)

Outlet condition is also kept as pressure condition having same equation as inlet but with sin term to create phase difference in the inlet and outlet pressure at each time step.
P(outlet)= P_mean + P_amplitude * sin (wt) -- (time dependent analysis)
the outlet condition was kept this way to continuously maintain pressure difference which will govern the fluid flow in the forward direction and then reverse its flow to create oscillations.

It is very much critical for me to define accurate pressure conditions as the solid deformation is dependent upon the fluid flow. Can anyone please tell me if is the right way to define pressure equation to create oscillatory flows? If not, please share your insights on the same.
Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Aug 22, 2016, 7:27 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sajiree Vaidya

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.