Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Update/compute solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am wondering when it is appropriate to use the update solution button rather than the compute solution button.

If I change only the mesh will I need to compute the solution again from scratch?

If I change only a parameter value is it possible to update the solution without having to compute it all again?

Also, is updating the solution faster than computing?

Thanks,
Lauren

3 Replies Last Post Sep 20, 2016, 10:25 a.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 20, 2016, 8:22 a.m. EDT
Lauren,

Update solution can only be used if physics, boundary conditions, or the number degree of freedoms (dof) has not been changed.

If you change the mesh you will need to compute the solution again from the scratch (dof changed).

If you change only a parameter that does not change physics then you can use Update Solution which is faster than Compute.

Regards,
Sergei
Lauren, Update solution can only be used if physics, boundary conditions, or the number degree of freedoms (dof) has not been changed. If you change the mesh you will need to compute the solution again from the scratch (dof changed). If you change only a parameter that does not change physics then you can use Update Solution which is faster than Compute. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 20, 2016, 8:51 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your reply.
Thanks for your reply.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 20, 2016, 10:25 a.m. EDT
If you remesh and the new mesh happens to have the same number of degrees of freedom as the old one, you will still need to compute the solution anew.

A typical circumstance where you would use "Update Solution" is when you add variables or component couplings for post-processing purposes after computing the solution. "Update Solution" will force the evaluation of these quantities without re-solving the problem.

Best,
Jeff
If you remesh and the new mesh happens to have the same number of degrees of freedom as the old one, you will still need to compute the solution anew. A typical circumstance where you would use "Update Solution" is when you add variables or component couplings for post-processing purposes after computing the solution. "Update Solution" will force the evaluation of these quantities without re-solving the problem. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.