Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to enter a Channel thickness

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,
how to enter the Channel thickness?
I use the (laminar flow -> mass flow -> mass flow rate -> normal mass flow rate), but get an error!
I read a comsol documentation and I think I must enter a Channel thickness (maybe!!), but don't find where I can to enter a Channel thickness!
please help me, 1- how to enter a Channel thickness? 2- why get an error when I choose "normal mass flow rate" ?

thanks a lot

8 Replies Last Post Mar 12, 2013, 5:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2013, 10:04 a.m. EST
Hi

I assume you are in 2D ? and your units are not flow/m^2 but /m ?
If so yes, in 2D everything is "per meter" so you need to multiply by the appropriate depth (d or "Z value)
Note that several physics in 2D allows you to define a thickness along Z to get absolute values (sometimes you can add a "change thcikness" sub-node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I assume you are in 2D ? and your units are not flow/m^2 but /m ? If so yes, in 2D everything is "per meter" so you need to multiply by the appropriate depth (d or "Z value) Note that several physics in 2D allows you to define a thickness along Z to get absolute values (sometimes you can add a "change thcikness" sub-node -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2013, 7:54 p.m. EST
Hi,
thanks for reply dear Mr. Ivar
I'm in 2D axisymmetric, and my unit is (kg/s).
I still do not understand how to specify and enter the "Channel thickness" ! just enter the "d= ... [m]" in Variables?
best regards
Hi, thanks for reply dear Mr. Ivar I'm in 2D axisymmetric, and my unit is (kg/s). I still do not understand how to specify and enter the "Channel thickness" ! just enter the "d= ... [m]" in Variables? best regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 5, 2013, 12:50 a.m. EST
Hi

In 2D-axi you have no "depth" but a "loop length" of 2*pi*r hence varying depending how far you are from the axis.

When you integrate over the domain in 2D-axi you have the additional option to have COMSOL automatically multiply by 2*pi*r for you check on the option, or add it by yourself. THis adds a "m" on the units and transform a surface integral into a volume (of revolution) integral

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In 2D-axi you have no "depth" but a "loop length" of 2*pi*r hence varying depending how far you are from the axis. When you integrate over the domain in 2D-axi you have the additional option to have COMSOL automatically multiply by 2*pi*r for you check on the option, or add it by yourself. THis adds a "m" on the units and transform a surface integral into a volume (of revolution) integral -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 10, 2013, 11:55 p.m. EDT
thanks a lot for reply
Unfortunately I didn't understand ...! didn't know how to solve this problem! My model consists of Plasma module and Lamir flow. My mass flow rate 1e-7 kg/s.
Inlet thickness 2 mm.
how can I add a mass flow rate?
I integrated over the inlet boundary

Integration1 (Intop1) > "inlet boundary"
Variable > mass = intop1(2*pi*r*u*spf.rho)

this integral depends on the velocity!
what should I do?

Please help somebody ...
thanks a lot for reply Unfortunately I didn't understand ...! didn't know how to solve this problem! My model consists of Plasma module and Lamir flow. My mass flow rate 1e-7 kg/s. Inlet thickness 2 mm. how can I add a mass flow rate? I integrated over the inlet boundary Integration1 (Intop1) > "inlet boundary" Variable > mass = intop1(2*pi*r*u*spf.rho) this integral depends on the velocity! what should I do? Please help somebody ...

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 11, 2013, 3:42 p.m. EDT
Hi

first of all, in 2D-axi you should have no geoemtry on the r<0 side of the axis, only the cut line along the r=0 symmetry axis.

if you have an flow rate of [kg/s] this should be intop1(2*pi*r*u,rho) over the inlet, as "r" is in meters, u in [m/s], rho in [kg/m^3] and the dr of the integration argument (implicit not written out in COMSOL) adds a "m" hence you have

m*m/s*kg/m^3*m = kg/s

, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all, in 2D-axi you should have no geoemtry on the r

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 11, 2013, 4:25 p.m. EDT
yes! I understand it! this is not problem!
Problems another! how I can to add mass flow rate integration when I dont know velocity (u)? I just know mass flow rate=1e-7 [kg/s]
if I add the integral as a variable, I need to know the velocity (u).
density changes with time in the chamber.
how can I achieve a concrete mass flow rate?
how can I add 1e-7 [kg/s] ?

thanks...
yes! I understand it! this is not problem! Problems another! how I can to add mass flow rate integration when I dont know velocity (u)? I just know mass flow rate=1e-7 [kg/s] if I add the integral as a variable, I need to know the velocity (u). density changes with time in the chamber. how can I achieve a concrete mass flow rate? how can I add 1e-7 [kg/s] ? thanks...

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2013, 3:28 a.m. EDT
Hi

but if the gas is entering in laminaire mode a parabolic profile is quite usual, then you have fixed values.

However you can also add a dependent variable: the local input velocity field across the inlet, and bind it through your fomula to impose the total flux, then COMSOL will adapt it "in a means square" approach

u(x,y,z,t) defined such as => intop1(...) - 1E-7 = 0

where the =0 is implicit in the COMSOL notation

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but if the gas is entering in laminaire mode a parabolic profile is quite usual, then you have fixed values. However you can also add a dependent variable: the local input velocity field across the inlet, and bind it through your fomula to impose the total flux, then COMSOL will adapt it "in a means square" approach u(x,y,z,t) defined such as => intop1(...) - 1E-7 = 0 where the =0 is implicit in the COMSOL notation -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2013, 5:23 a.m. EDT
thanks you very much Mr. Ivar !! We love you ...
thanks you very much Mr. Ivar !! We love you ...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.