Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PML for infinite layered films

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear folks,

I am trying to simulate a point source illuminating on a stacked films extending to infinite. A intuitive way to truncate the film, I think, is to use PML. However, when extending the layered film material into PML, the performance of PML obviously is not good, even worse than Scattering BC without PML. I attached a figure showing the field, compared to a FDTD result, reflection from the PML boundary is apparent. COMSOL technique support also indicates that PML does not work well for infinite films, and suggests to live with SBC. So I am wondering is anyone here has encountered similar problem and can share the experience. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Leiming

7 Replies Last Post Dec 20, 2014, 10:20 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2013, 2:26 p.m. EDT

However, when extending the layered film material into PML, the performance of PML obviously is not good, even worse than Scattering BC without PML.

I do it all the time and the performance is very good. I see virtually no reflection from PML's inner boundaries within ~10^(-6) precision. Try playing with PML's options.

By the way, make sure to use same material properties for PML as for the corresponding films.
[QUOTE] However, when extending the layered film material into PML, the performance of PML obviously is not good, even worse than Scattering BC without PML. [/QUOTE] I do it all the time and the performance is very good. I see virtually no reflection from PML's inner boundaries within ~10^(-6) precision. Try playing with PML's options. By the way, make sure to use same material properties for PML as for the corresponding films.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2013, 2:45 p.m. EDT
Dear Alexander,

Your comment is highly appreciated. I am very glad to learn that it is indeed possible to improve it by fine tuning the PML settings, which is also the purpose I am seeking help here.
Yes, I did use same material for the inner domain and the PML for corresponding layers. BTW, there is a metal film among the layers.
I am using Comsol v4.3a, the only parameters I saw for tuning the PML setting are PML scaling factor and scaling curvature. FEA is kind new to me, I randomly tried different values for these two, but not successful. Could you please help explain a bit more detail of, e.g. the general strategies for tuning the PML parameters,if there are. If you allow, I can send in my test model.

Thank you very much,

Leiming
Dear Alexander, Your comment is highly appreciated. I am very glad to learn that it is indeed possible to improve it by fine tuning the PML settings, which is also the purpose I am seeking help here. Yes, I did use same material for the inner domain and the PML for corresponding layers. BTW, there is a metal film among the layers. I am using Comsol v4.3a, the only parameters I saw for tuning the PML setting are PML scaling factor and scaling curvature. FEA is kind new to me, I randomly tried different values for these two, but not successful. Could you please help explain a bit more detail of, e.g. the general strategies for tuning the PML parameters,if there are. If you allow, I can send in my test model. Thank you very much, Leiming

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2013, 5:05 p.m. EDT
You can upload your model here

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2013, 6:07 p.m. EDT

Many thanks, Alex, uploaded.
Any insight you may offer is highly appreciated.

Leiming
[QUOTE] You can upload your model here [/QUOTE] Many thanks, Alex, uploaded. Any insight you may offer is highly appreciated. Leiming

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2013, 7:03 p.m. EDT
Sorry, can't open it because of version mismatch. I got 4.3 version
Sorry, can't open it because of version mismatch. I got 4.3 version

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2013, 7:28 p.m. EDT
No problem, that's true, COMSOL is not forward-compatible.
Anyway, thanks for discussion. See if other experts may be able to offer some help.

Regards,
Leiming
No problem, that's true, COMSOL is not forward-compatible. Anyway, thanks for discussion. See if other experts may be able to offer some help. Regards, Leiming

Posted: 10 years ago Dec 20, 2014, 10:20 p.m. EST
Dear Alexander Kuznetsov,

I also have the same problem, can you upload your file to show how to fine tune the PML boundary condition? thanks
Dear Alexander Kuznetsov, I also have the same problem, can you upload your file to show how to fine tune the PML boundary condition? thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.