Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric Field / Potential distribution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate a structure which consists of different material layers. I would like to see Electric field and Electric Potential distributions of a certain potential applied to the boundaries of substrate (poly-Si). My multilayer structure includes two different metall layers. When I press compute, Comsol asks me to enter Relative Permittivity values for these metals, which is actually incorrect. I set them to 0.01 but also set all boundaries of metal layers to 0V potential. Is this approach is correct?

After computing Electric Potentials (image is attached), instead of V I type sqrt(es.Ex*es.Ex+es.Ey*es.Ey+es.Ez*es.Ez) in Expression field to get Electric Field distribution, however I am getting an error (image is attached), which says "Failed to evaluate variable ... Domain 1, 10". Material of Domain 1 and 10 is Air.
Does anyone can explain what am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Last Post May 13, 2013, 5:04 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2013, 8:57 a.m. EDT
Update: Space geometry I am using is - 2D axisymmetric.
When I am drawing the same geometry but in 2D (without symmetry) I do not have an error described above and COMSOL plots Electric field without problems.

Any ideas?
Update: Space geometry I am using is - 2D axisymmetric. When I am drawing the same geometry but in 2D (without symmetry) I do not have an error described above and COMSOL plots Electric field without problems. Any ideas?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2013, 11:26 a.m. EDT

In axial symmetry the spatial components are r, phi and z.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
In axial symmetry the spatial components are r, phi and z. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 13, 2013, 5:04 a.m. EDT
Hi Aidar,

That metals have no permittivity is a inappropriate generalization, it depends on the time-scale you are looking at.

We highly recommend to exclude metal domains in electrostatic computations (es) in the first place.
The charge relaxation time in metals is typically so short that the complete domain is at
homogeneous potential for all the time. Set fixed of floating potentials instead on the boundaries.

Positive side effects:
- reduced number of DOFs (faster, smaller)
- reduced condition number of the system matrix (more stable)

Have a look at the electrostatic tutorials in the model library where this is done by convention.

Best regards,
Sven
Hi Aidar, That metals have no permittivity is a inappropriate generalization, it depends on the time-scale you are looking at. We highly recommend to exclude metal domains in electrostatic computations (es) in the first place. The charge relaxation time in metals is typically so short that the complete domain is at homogeneous potential for all the time. Set fixed of floating potentials instead on the boundaries. Positive side effects: - reduced number of DOFs (faster, smaller) - reduced condition number of the system matrix (more stable) Have a look at the electrostatic tutorials in the model library where this is done by convention. Best regards, Sven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.