Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact plate element

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have a problem how to model the contact between two plates en 2D,
I need to know the conditions of contact between these plates (friction- sliding)
these plates are modeling by their midlin plan,

Thanks for yous help

3 Replies Last Post Sep 1, 2013, 7:37 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2013, 6:38 p.m. EDT
Hi,

can you give us more detail about your problem? I suggest you to see the tutorial "Sliding Wedge", available in the Model Library > Structural Mechanics > Verification Models. It's a simple 2D model, having a look at it may help you!

Regards
Hi, can you give us more detail about your problem? I suggest you to see the tutorial "Sliding Wedge", available in the Model Library > Structural Mechanics > Verification Models. It's a simple 2D model, having a look at it may help you! Regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 28, 2013, 9:02 a.m. EDT
thanks for your answer

I working on modeling of assembly of two beams, which these beams are modeled by their midplane,
so i'm looking for the conditions of contact as (sliding - friction ) in the overlap region,
in general, the law of coulom present the friction problem at the contact point, but in this type of modeling the contact point is separated in deux because the solids are presented by their midplane so the sliding is between two midplane of beams and not between tow solids, so i have not the same conditions and equations,

I don't know if you have been taking a clearer idea
thanks for your answer I working on modeling of assembly of two beams, which these beams are modeled by their midplane, so i'm looking for the conditions of contact as (sliding - friction ) in the overlap region, in general, the law of coulom present the friction problem at the contact point, but in this type of modeling the contact point is separated in deux because the solids are presented by their midplane so the sliding is between two midplane of beams and not between tow solids, so i have not the same conditions and equations, I don't know if you have been taking a clearer idea

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 1, 2013, 7:37 p.m. EDT
If your problem is that contact occurs at the mid-plane while the beams have a finite thickness, then you can use the contact surface offset feature. That allows the surfaces to be considered “touching” when they are actually apart or overlapping by a preset amount.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If your problem is that contact occurs at the mid-plane while the beams have a finite thickness, then you can use the contact surface offset feature. That allows the surfaces to be considered “touching” when they are actually apart or overlapping by a preset amount. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.