Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scatterer on substrate problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all

Hello. I'm a beginner of COMSOL multiphysics.

I have tried to calculate the effect of nanostructure on light scattering.
Based on the user guide, "Scatterer on Substrate", I did it.
However, I'm still confused about the result.

I hope you give me some advice on that.

1. Results of 2-step simulation.
In the 1st simulation, total field simulation was perfomed without scatter.
And, the result was used as an background field of the 2nd scattered simulation.
Then what does emw2.normE or emw2.Ex (Ey, Ez) indicate?
Scattered field due to scatterer? or Total field?

2. Meaning of power flow of the relative fields?
I want to know the differences of power flow and power flow of the relative fields.
In addition, let me know some reference to understand how to derive the scattering cross section described in the user guide. ( surface interpolation of relative normal Poynting flux / Intensity of incident field)

3. If I want to calculate the intensity of back scattered wave due to the scatterer, which calculation do you recommend?
Is it okay to calculate the surface integration of power outflow?

I really hope that I can find some answer from you.
Thank you

1 Reply Last Post Dec 31, 2013, 2:25 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dong-yeong Kim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 31, 2013, 2:25 p.m. EST
Hello,

I am currently looking at this problem. I can't get it to solve correctly, must be leaving something out. I thought I would just answer your one question (just now seeing your post) since I am here fishing around for info anyhow.

Anyhow, I can pretty confidently tell you that emw2.normE or emw2.Ex (Ey, Ez) indicates the E field from ONLY the scattered radiation with the nanoparticle present. That's what you solved for regarding emw2 (the 2nd interface you setup with the scatterer present).

However, I can't yet answer any of your other quesitons at the moment.
Hello, I am currently looking at this problem. I can't get it to solve correctly, must be leaving something out. I thought I would just answer your one question (just now seeing your post) since I am here fishing around for info anyhow. Anyhow, I can pretty confidently tell you that emw2.normE or emw2.Ex (Ey, Ez) indicates the E field from ONLY the scattered radiation with the nanoparticle present. That's what you solved for regarding emw2 (the 2nd interface you setup with the scatterer present). However, I can't yet answer any of your other quesitons at the moment.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.