Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cell constant of an irregular shaped object

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

Is there a way to calculate the cell constant of an irregular shaped object using COMSOL?

Thanks,
Daniel

2 Replies Last Post Jan 9, 2014, 1:13 a.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 7, 2014, 11:51 a.m. EST

What is a cell constant in your case? The term is sometimes used in the context of electrolytic cells, but you are just talking about an irregular shaped object?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
What is a cell constant in your case? The term is sometimes used in the context of electrolytic cells, but you are just talking about an irregular shaped object? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 9, 2014, 1:13 a.m. EST
Hi Edgar,

Thank you for your reply.

In the electrolysis cell I am studying with, part of the electrolyte has an irregular shape. I already figured out how to calculate the cell constant using the Electric Current mode in COMSOL. The 'effective' cell constant can be calculated by dividing the electric potential drop by the total current and the resistivity of the electrolyte.

Thanks!
Daniel

What is a cell constant in your case? The term is sometimes used in the context of electrolytic cells, but you are just talking about an irregular shaped object?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com

Hi Edgar, Thank you for your reply. In the electrolysis cell I am studying with, part of the electrolyte has an irregular shape. I already figured out how to calculate the cell constant using the Electric Current mode in COMSOL. The 'effective' cell constant can be calculated by dividing the electric potential drop by the total current and the resistivity of the electrolyte. Thanks! Daniel [QUOTE] What is a cell constant in your case? The term is sometimes used in the context of electrolytic cells, but you are just talking about an irregular shaped object? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.