Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reactive transport of two species

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have two streams of water flow into the same conduit under laminar conditions where they mix by diffusion. Flow is from left to right and compound A enters at the top half, whereas B enters along the bottom half of the left side. Compounds mix and form compound C by a reversible reaction, which is described below. A and B are dissolved, so their diffusion constant is 1E-9 m2/s, but C precipitates as a solid with a diffusion constant of 1E-12 m2/s.

I have defined the forward and reverse rates,concentration and reaction in the variable section.

But I think my product C is not precipitating as a solid. Can anyone guide me as to what I have done wrong?

Attached is my model

3 Replies Last Post Feb 11, 2014, 10:27 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2014, 12:15 p.m. EST
Hi,

Anyone. Please help. Why is my precipitate which is solid not settling at the bottom of the pipe. I have added gravity to the laminar flow model by modifying the outlet pressure BC and adding volume force.

I have been stuck with this from past 1 month. Any suggestions/pointers will be very much appreciated.

Attached is my model.
Hi, Anyone. Please help. Why is my precipitate which is solid not settling at the bottom of the pipe. I have added gravity to the laminar flow model by modifying the outlet pressure BC and adding volume force. I have been stuck with this from past 1 month. Any suggestions/pointers will be very much appreciated. Attached is my model.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2014, 4:27 p.m. EST
Romani:

The way you have set up the problem, you will not be able to get solid C to precipitate at the bottom. You are solving a single phase problem where both your reactants (A & B) are in the liquid phase and the product (C) is also in the liquid phase. What you need is a system of equations which solves for the reactants in the liquid phase, just the way you have already described, but the product will have to be converted to a solid depending on its solubility in water or whatever liquid phase you need. I have not solved such a problem before so I cannot give you guidance on how to solve it, but I would start with a 2-phase flow interface with solid + liquid phases. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Sri.

Romani: The way you have set up the problem, you will not be able to get solid C to precipitate at the bottom. You are solving a single phase problem where both your reactants (A & B) are in the liquid phase and the product (C) is also in the liquid phase. What you need is a system of equations which solves for the reactants in the liquid phase, just the way you have already described, but the product will have to be converted to a solid depending on its solubility in water or whatever liquid phase you need. I have not solved such a problem before so I cannot give you guidance on how to solve it, but I would start with a 2-phase flow interface with solid + liquid phases. I hope this helps. Good Luck, Sri.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 11, 2014, 10:27 a.m. EST
HI Sri,

Thank you so much for replying..

Romani
HI Sri, Thank you so much for replying.. Romani

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.