Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Integration coupling for prediscribed displacement variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

For my graduation project I am currently modeling the lymphatic primary valve. The model consists of two overlapping lymphatic endothelial cells, poroelastic extracellular matrix on the left (poro) and vessel lumen on the right (fsi). In order to function as a valve, the lymphatic endothelial cells are connected to their environment at certain points via anchoring filament (rope like structures). They 'pull' on the cells as the poroelastic extracellular matrix swells on incoming pressure, holding the cells into place under the pressure gradient and allowing the fluid to flow through the valve at the overlapping parts (see attached GIF). In this example I kept parts of the endothelial cells out of my model, fixing them in place. The ECM boundary on the left uniformly moves from left to right, expanding and contracting.

In order to model the mentioned anchoring filaments I introduced six points (see my attached model) on the ECM boundary at the left (poro) and used integration coupling at each of those points to get their displacement. Then I made variables out of this and prescribed these to each of the six points of attachment on the endothelial cells (fsi). However the displacement of the ECM boundary is now distorted compared to my previous model (GIF).

Why is this the case and is there anything I can do about this? Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Jibbe Soetens

0 Replies Last Post Feb 7, 2014, 7:05 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jibbe Soetens

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.