Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary Mode Analysis Undefined Variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Simple waveguide problem. I make a rectangular block of air, 2 cm x 1 cm x 10 cm surrounded by the default PEC boundaries. Ports at each end. Ports both set to Numeric. Add study -> Boundary Mode Analysis Frequency domain. I set the frequency of the mode analysis and frequency domain to be 10 GHz. Everything else defaults. I click compute. Bang:

Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the equation residual vector.
There are 1 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable comp1.emw.S2x.
at coordinates: (0,0,0), ...
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)

What's this undefined value? If I make one of the ports rectangular, no error. But both numeric, Undefined value. What's the deal here? Obviously I'm missing something obvious with regard to how boundary mode analysis and numeric ports work. What is it? The docs on this topic (as usual) are pretty thin.

3 Replies Last Post Apr 11, 2016, 11:55 p.m. EDT

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 30, 2014, 2:30 p.m. EDT
SOLVED.

It appears that boundary mode analysis steps need to be run for all ports within the same Study node. I had my analyses for my ports as separate studies and they don't "talk". So if,
say, you have two ports, you first add a study from the wizard that has boundary mode analysis. The
node should look like this.

Study
Step1 Boundary Mode Analysis
Step2 Frequency Domain

Now you need to add another Boundary Mode Analysis step. You can do this by right clicking
the Study, and under Study Steps find Boundary Mode Analysis and add it. But this will add it to
the end of the study as Step 3. Wrong.

Study
Step2 Frequency Domain
Step3 Boundary Mode Analysis

Drag it up to become step 2, and it will work.

Study
Step2 Boundary Mode Analysis
Step3 Frequency Domain

Another COMSOL mystery solved.
SOLVED. It appears that boundary mode analysis steps need to be run for all ports within the same Study node. I had my analyses for my ports as separate studies and they don't "talk". So if, say, you have two ports, you first add a study from the wizard that has boundary mode analysis. The node should look like this. Study Step1 Boundary Mode Analysis Step2 Frequency Domain Now you need to add another Boundary Mode Analysis step. You can do this by right clicking the Study, and under Study Steps find Boundary Mode Analysis and add it. But this will add it to the end of the study as Step 3. Wrong. Study Step1 Boundary Mode Analysis Step2 Frequency Domain Step3 Boundary Mode Analysis Drag it up to become step 2, and it will work. Study Step1 Boundary Mode Analysis Step2 Boundary Mode Analysis Step3 Frequency Domain Another COMSOL mystery solved.

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 16, 2016, 1:13 a.m. EST
I got the same error and I also tried above solution but still it is giving the same error.Help me if you can.
Thank you in advance.
I got the same error and I also tried above solution but still it is giving the same error.Help me if you can. Thank you in advance.

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 11, 2016, 11:55 p.m. EDT
I got the same error and I also tried above solution but still it is giving the same error.Help me if you can.
THX!
I got the same error and I also tried above solution but still it is giving the same error.Help me if you can. THX!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.