Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Looking for advice - capacitor with multiple dielectrics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I started working with Comsol 2 days ago so I apologize in advance if my question is basic.

I have a plastic tube submerged in different liquids. Inside the plastic tube there are 3 rings. 2 of them are conducive,and in between the third ring is dielectric. I want to simulate the equivalent capacity of the setup. In theory , the equivalent capacity should be dependent on the 3 dielectrics that are between conductors (dielectric constant of the third ring , dielectric constant of the surrounding plastic , dielectric constant of the liquid). I would also like to see the electric fields arrows (how the electric field lines are closing).

Can anyone advise about the best simulation type ?

I've tried different approaches but I don't seem to get the results I expect.

Thank you in advance.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 4, 2014, 1:56 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 4, 2014, 1:56 p.m. EST
Hi,

Since you are interested in the electric field distribution, you can either use the electro-static physics (es) or the radio frequency physics (emw). Depending on your operating frequency, you can select which physics fits with your problem. BTW, You can check the differential equation solved by COMSOL in any physics by clicking on the physics -> equation.

Hope that this will be useful

BR
Mohamed
Hi, Since you are interested in the electric field distribution, you can either use the electro-static physics (es) or the radio frequency physics (emw). Depending on your operating frequency, you can select which physics fits with your problem. BTW, You can check the differential equation solved by COMSOL in any physics by clicking on the physics -> equation. Hope that this will be useful BR Mohamed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.