Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Waveguide filter based on resonator: External quality factor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol community,

I try to design a waveguide filter based on resonant cavities. From the filter theory I can obtain the needed coupling factors between the cavities and the needed external quality factor between the first/last cavity and the waveguide. My question is now, how can I numerically obtain the external quality factor between the waveguide and the first resonator. I know that it is related to the phase of the S-Parameter at the waveguide port. But somehow I struggle to set up the simulation. I ran simulation with a geometry as indicated in the attached sketch. (The waveguide port is at the "longer end". "The shorter" one is the resonant cavity and the are connect by a very short thin bar. I would like to use the crossection of the bar to control the coupling between waveguide and cavity.) But I found strange peaks in the phase of S11 (see attached plot) which I cannot interpret. I would be very grateful for any hint on how to calculate the external quality factor.

Thanks a lot in advance

0 Replies Last Post Aug 25, 2015, 11:23 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Felix

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.